Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme

What is this visa for?

This visa was introduced in April 2013 to allow students who will obtain a doctorate degree, for example a PhD, to apply to remain in the UK for 12 months in order to find employment, develop a business or gain work experience.

Can I apply for this visa?

You must be an enrolled full-time student of Swansea University who will soon pass a PhD or for another doctorate degree, such as an EngD. You must have a valid Tier 4 student visa when you apply.

When should I apply for the visa?

You must apply for the visa before your current Tier 4 student visa expires and up to 60 days before your degree is awarded.  If your Tier 4 visa will expire before your degree is awarded, you must seek advice from us.  In order to complete your studies, you may need to apply for a further Tier 4 student visa and then apply for a Doctorate Extension Scheme visa later.

If you do not currently have a Tier 4 visa but you are completing your PhD soon, contact us (International@CampusLife).

You must apply for this visa in the UK.

How much does it cost and how long does it take?

The application process and cost is the same as a normal Tier 4 Student Visa. However, you must ensure you tick on the online application that you are applying for the Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES).

You must complete the online form on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website.

 Postal ServiceExpress service (Cardiff)
Cost of application £ 457 £1047
Immigration Health Surcharge Cost £150 for each year of your visa  £150 for each year of your visa
Cost of biometrics £ 19.20 Not applicable
How long does it take 8-10 weeks 2-3 weeks
Cost for dependants (applying together with main applicant) £457 per dependant (plus Immigration Health Surcharge) £ 1047 per dependant (plus Immigration Health Surcharge)

Further details

Our leaflet  Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme includes further information about how to apply, how much money you and your dependants need to show, and what happens after you get your visa.

There is also very useful details about this from the UK Council for International Student Affairs website.