How to Work With Us
Work with Reaching Wider
Student Leaders are recruited to assist the Reaching Wider Team in the delivery of a range of activities and events for children and young people from primary through to sixth form. There are a number of projects and events that are offered through the Reaching Wider Student Leader Scheme that you can be involved with. Events include: primary, secondary and sixth form school visits both on and off campus; study skills workshops, after school clubs, summer schools, subject specific masterclasses and taster sessions, and literacy and numeracy competitions and workshops.
Benefits of working as a student leader
- Generous rate of pay starting at £7.99
- Opportunity to gain an Employability Award at Bronze, Silver or Gold level for your HEAR.
- An opportunity to gain valuable employment experience
- Work that fits around your timetable
- Enhanced skills and attributes which can improve your CV, application form and interview response
- Free training
Main Duties of a Student Leader
- To act as a positive role model and ambassador for Higher Education and Swansea University.
- To supervise and support groups of school children in the delivery of activities and presentations on campus-based events or visits to schools and colleges
- Actively participate, motivate and assist school pupils and college students participating in the activities designed to raise participants’ awareness of University life or in the delivery of study skills and subject specific activities.
- To assist in maintaining good behaviour during on and off campus visits and report any issues or areas of concern, thus ensuring all University policies are implemented within the remit of this role.
- To develop an awareness of the benefits of a University education, progression pathways to Higher Education and a general awareness of the wide range of courses available and general issues on student life.
In addition to working within the university core values student leaders must:
- Be a current undergraduate or postgraduate student or recent graduate at Swansea University or UWTSD.
- Have excellent communication skills.
- Be knowledgeable about University life.
- Be able to work as part of a team.
- Be able to follow instruction whilst also using your own initiative.
- Have an understanding for and empathy with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- Be able to inspire and raise aspirations.
- Be able to behave in a manner which is welcoming, approachable and friendly to children and young people.
- Be patient, positive, flexible and calm in challenging situations such as working with groups of disengaged young people
- Have good time management skills.
- Have demonstrable enthusiasm for Higher Education
Click here to express an interest in becoming a student leader. All interested applicants will be invited by email to attend one of our recruitment events (held regularly throughout the academic year).
PLEASE CHECK BACK IN APRIL 2018 FOR DETAILS OF FUTURE RECRUITMENT EVENTS
For further information about the student leader application process click Application Process 2017 .