Swansea University is to host its first annual Postgraduate Research Showcase Event on Wednesday, 16 May. The event is an exciting celebration of the diverse research carried out by the University’s postgraduate students. The exhibition will be open to the public from 11am until 4pm.
The event is an exciting celebration of the diverse research carried out by the University’s postgraduate students. The exhibition will be open to the public from 11am until 4pm.
The event will see the return of the Three Minute Thesis Competition (3MT), where two students from each of the University’s seven colleges will give a passionate three-minute presentation on their many diverse theses.
The Poster Competition will follow, where five finalists will present their poster to a judging panel in the hope of winning one of the many prizes on offer.
Everyone is welcome to attend the Three Minute Thesis and poster competitions, which will be a fantastic opportunity to learn more about the exciting research going on at Swansea University. The topics discussed in the Three Minute Thesis will include:
- The artistry of J.K. Rowling’s work, focusing on Harry Potter and J.K. Rowling’s literary inspirations by John Granger.
- The Evolution of Devolution: the impact of devolution on youth justice in Wales by Joe Janes.
- Deceptive trust in online grooming. Using psychology to look at chat logs and understand the role of deceptive trust in online grooming by Laura Broome.
- Creating activity trackers to enable those with cystic fibrosis to monitor and manage their physical activity to improve their symptoms by Mayara Silviera Bianchim.
- Effect of Welsh Government policy and migration on entrepreneurship in Wales by Daniel Roberts.
- China-UK free trade agreement. In light of Brexit, this research looks at the value of China as a free trade partner for the UK by Cherry Chen.
The day will conclude with an Awards Ceremony, hosted by Swansea University’s Senior Pro-Vice Chancellor, Professor Hilary Lappin-Scott, where the incredible achievements of Swansea University’s postgraduate students will be recognised, and the winner of Three Minute Thesis and the Poster Competition will be announced.
Chloe Robinson, a 3MT competition finalist from the Department of Biosciences said:
“3MT has given me a fantastic platform to share my research and I am super excited to be in the final. I’m hoping to engage as many people as possible with my genetics research.”
Pamela Styles, Postgraduate Senior Research Officer at Swansea University said:
“I’m thrilled to be involved with the very first Swansea University Postgraduate Research Showcase. I have thoroughly enjoyed working with the students and hearing their three-minute presentations, and have been amazed and impressed by the variety of cutting-edge research that is happening here right now! I’m really looking forward to their talks in the 3MT final, and am really pleased that we have this opportunity to celebrate the remarkable achievements of our outstanding postgraduate research students.”
- Thursday 10 May 2018 13.05 BST
- Thursday 10 May 2018 12.00 BST
- Llyr Huw