Health and Safety

Be prepared for your time abroad

Before you travel, it is important that you take into consideration any issues relating to your health and wellbeing and make any necessary arrangements before leaving and check you have the correct insurance for your chosen programme.

Swansea University Travel Insurance
When you travel abroad as a student on official Swansea University business you are entitled to use the University's comprehensive travel insurance policy if you so wish. The policy covers the period from the time that you leave your normal place of residence immediately before the start of your course until the journey home immediately after your course has finished. Further detail and where to download a Summary of cover can be found here. You are also entitled to 7 days holiday within the cover, and these can only be taken immediately before, during, or immediately after your period of study. It is your responsibility to review this policy and check it suits your particular needs. If you decide to extend your stay abroad you will need to purchase additional travel insurance.

Medical Emergency Abroad
If you have a medical emergency whilst abroad and need assistance through the travel insurance described above, you or someone on your behalf must contact Intana Global who will help with any ambulance/hospital bills. Contact information is provided in the travel insurance policy. Failure to do so may make the above Travel Insurance cover null and void. 

European Health Insurance Card
For students travelling to Europe, make sure you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) that is valid for the entire length of your stay. It may be necessary to renew your existing card so please check as soon as possible. You can find more information on the NHS website

Advice from your GP
If you have an on-going medical condition make sure that you have a letter from your GP/hospital that states you are fit to travel; and also always take a list of the medication that you need with you. If you are prescribed or take any regular medication (including contraception), discuss the process of continuing your prescription abroad with your GP. Remember that medication, trade names and dosage levels may vary abroad. If you are going to Europe, obtain translated copies of any important health documentation you may have.

Vaccinations and Immunisations
You should ensure that you receive all the necessary vaccinations relevant to the country you will be living in, including any countries which you intend to travel to during the holidays. You should visit the Foreign & Commonwealth Office website for an up-to-date list of required vaccinations, along with important general travel advice.

Additional Support
If you require additional support to undertake your period abroad, please be sure to contact the relevant service here at Swansea University well in advance of your travels. You may wish to contact the Disability Office or Wellbeing Services on campus. Alternatively, please feel free to contact the Go Global Team who can put you in touch with the right department -