Information about applying for a visa to travel to Japan

International@CampusLife has outlined the main details below, but you should go through the Embassy of Japan website thoroughly for full details and information -

If you need to obtain a visa for Japan, we can check your application and documents, but we cannot apply on your behalf. We can answer general questions, but you may have to contact the embassy directly if you have more specific questions.

What do I need to know?

Do I need a visa?

Some nationals may not require a visa under visa exemption agreements between your country and Japan. Find out if you are exempted from a visa from

Please note that, even if you are the subject of a visa exemption arrangement, permission to enter Japan remains at the discretion of the immigration authorities. You are advised to take supporting documents with you for immigration inspection at the airport such as a return flight ticket, details of the host organisation (if appropriate) and evidence of sufficient funds for your stay. You should also get a student statement from the Academic Registry to confirm your student status in the UK.

What type of visa do I need?

If you are going to Japan as a tourist or for an exchange programme and you are not a national of a country covered by a visa exemption agreement, you need to apply for a Temporary Visit Visa.  This visa is for visits not exceeding 90 days. You will find more information about this visa here:

How much does it cost?

The cost of the visa depends upon your nationality.  You will find full information about the visa fees here:  Please note that fees must be paid in cash. The Embassy does not accept cheques or credit/debit cards.

When should I apply?

If you are applying for a visa to undertake an exchange programme, you will have to wait till you receive the acceptance materials from the Japanese University before applying for the visa.

What do I need to do?

How to apply?

  • Go through the Embassy of Japan website and click on the relevant visa you require. Follow the instructions about how to apply from
  • Print off and fill in the visa application form and schedule of stay in Japan.  These documents can be downloaded here: 
  • Visa applicants must visit the Embassy in person with their passport, visa application forms and the other documents required according to the purpose of stay
    Note: Citizens of Russia and NIS are required to submit TWO visa application forms and TWO passport-sized photographs.

What documents do I need?

Below is a general list of documents required for the visa, but you are strongly advised to check the Embassy website here, as documentation may vary according to your nationality or circumstances:

1. Valid passport and UK Residence Permit/Entry Clearance where applicable

2. One completed and signed Visa Application Form (This can be downloaded here:

3. One passport-sized photograph (taken within last 6 months)

4. Recent letter (student statement) from Swansea University (issued within last 3 months)

5. Letter of Reason for Invitation from Japan if applicable (if you are going to Japan to undertake an exchange programme, the University in Japan will send this to you.)

6. Schedule of Stay for the proposed trip (This can be downloaded here:

7. Return or onward-journey flight information

8. Hotel information (if appropriate)

9. Recent bank statements (last 3 months) to show sufficient funds for the proposed trip

Contact - Japan Embassy (London)

Office Address: Consular Section, Embassy of Japan in the UK
101-104 Piccadilly, London, W1J 7JT

Tel: 020 7465 6565
Fax: 020 7491 9328

Nearest tube station: Green Park (Piccadilly, Jubilee and Victoria line), Hyde Park Corner (Piccadilly line)

Nearest train station: Victoria Railway Station

Bus route: Number 9, 14, 19, 22 38, C2


Business hours: 09:30 - 16:30 Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays).

The Japanese Embassy does NOT have an appointment system. You will need to visit the visa office during opening hours with your visa application and the required documentation.


How long does it take to process?

Non-immigrant visas take an average of one week to be issued.